Interested in learning more about Texas wine?
The wine industry is incredibly fragmented. While this is a global phenomenon, it is especially prevalent in the United States due to what I like to call a “prohibition hangover.” Each state has unique laws around taxes, shipping, compliance and more. To further highlight the issue, an estimated 18,000,000 people in the United States live in dry counties.
In Texas, where the wine industry is growing and evolving quickly, this fragmentation has made discovery of wineries and learning about Texas wine challenging. Quality information about Texas wine and wineries is scarce, so we’ve decided to compile a list of our favorite resources to help you learn more about the Texas wine industry.
- This is Texas Wine – Produced by Shelley Wilfong, this is a truly excellent podcast that is full of information for oenophiles, sommeliers, winery owners, and more. A recommended listen for your next roadtrip to the Texas Hill Country.
- Texas Wine Lover – Jeff Cope began writing about Texas wine over ten years ago. His website is a great resource to learn more about Texas wine and discover new wineries. Jeff also has an excellent Facebook group that is very active.
- Texas Wine and Grape Growers Association – The largest association of Texas wineries. The Texas Wine an Grape Growers Association’s website has a plethora of information about Texas wineries and the Texas wine industry.
- Texas Fine Wine – A collective of four premiere Texas wineries. Texas Fine Wine publishes content frequently about their members: Duchman Family Winery, Pedernales Cellars, Spicewood Vineyards, and Bending Branch Winery.
- Texas Hill Country Wineries – Looking to visit one of the fantastic central Texas wineries? The Texas Hill Country Wineries is a one stop shop to learn more and plan your trip.
- Texas Wine Growers – A nonprofit organization that many top wineries in the state are members of. They host events and publish content in an effort to promote Texas wine.
- Texas Wine Drinkers – A Facebook group with over 9,000 members who regularly publish and chat about Texas wine.
- Texas Wine Lovers – Another Facebook group that celebrates Texas wine. This group is very active with frequent posts about Texas wines and wineries.
- Uncork Texas Wines – Managed by the Texas Department of Agriculture, this website aggregates information about Texas wineries. Additionally, you can learn more about Texas wineries, Texas wine pairings, and Texas wine awards.
- Texas Wine Revolution – Organized by Chris Brundrett of William Chris Wines, this annual wine festival took a couple of years off, but will be restarting this coming spring. Stay tuned for details.
- Vintage Texas – Is a massive blog by Russ Kane who began writing about Texas wine back in 2008. Russ authors blogs on a regular basis about all facets of the Texas wine industry.
Let us know in the comments if there are any others that we should add to this list, and always remember to drink more Texas wine!