Last Update: December 8, 2021
For the purposes of EU and United Kingdom data protection laws (“Data Protection Legislation“), Sommly is a data controller (i.e., the company that is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal information).
3001 E 18th ½ Street, Austin, Texas 78702
What information do we collect?
We use your personal information to carry out the obligations arising from providing and improving the Service. This section describes the types and categories of personal information we may collect, and how we may use that information.
Information you provide us directly
We collect personal information that you provide when you sign up, enter your information into online forms, or otherwise use the Site and the Services. We use this personal information in a variety of ways, and this personal information includes the following:
- When you create an account on the Service, sign up for our mailing lists, provide feedback, or otherwise communicate with us, we may collect contact and business information from you, such as your first and last name, e-mail address, mailing address, one or more phone numbers and the company name with which you are associated with;
- When you order or use the Services, we will collect the information necessary to complete the transaction, including your first name, last name, credit card and/or bank account information, and billing address;
- When you submit a form, we may collect additional profile information, for example, information about your business, other products, and services you use, etc.;
- We also collect other types of personal information that you provide to us voluntarily, such as if you contact us via the Site regarding customer support or other questions regarding the Services.
Automatically collected information
When you use our Service, some information is collected automatically and is not provided directly by you. For example, when you access our Service, we automatically collect your browser’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type, the nature of the device from which you are visiting the Service (e.g., a personal computer or a mobile device), the identifier for any handheld or mobile device that you may be using, the web site that you visited immediately prior to accessing our Service, the actions you take on our Service, and the content, features, and activities that you access and participate in on our Service. We also may collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
Information Collected from You About Others.
If you decide to invite a third party to create an account with the Service, we will collect the third party’s first name, last name and email addresses in order to send an invitation email to, and follow up with, the third party. You should ensure that you know the third-party and they are expecting this invitation. In any case, you and/or the third party may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the removal of this information from our databases.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Collection and processing of sensitive information
The Service does not collect or process ‘sensitive information’, defined as data consisting of racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, data concerning health or data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation. As such, you should not provide any such information as part of your user profile, as part of any correspondence, or by any other means with your use of the Service.
How do we use personal information?
We collect personal information when you sign up for the Services or when you update your account information. We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To facilitate the creation of your account with the Service, to secure and personalize your interaction with the Service, and to provide the Services you have requested;
- To send you a welcome email to verify ownership of the email address provided when your account was created with the Service
- To send you administrative email notifications, such as support and maintenance advisories;
- We may also use the personal information you provide to contact you regarding your use of the Service or to solicit feedback;
- We link this personal information to data about the way you use our Service and the pages you visit to help enhance, improve, operate, and maintain our Service, our platforms, websites, and other systems;
- To prevent fraudulent use of our Service and other systems;
- To prevent or take action against activities that are, or may be, in violation of our Terms and Conditions or applicable law;
- To display personalized or targeted content to you, and to display targeted advertising on third party websites;
- For internal product development purposes to develop new products and services, and to improve existing ones;
- To respond to your inquiries related to employment opportunities with us, or other general inquiries.
Legal basis for processing in the EU and the United Kingdom
If you are resident in the EU or the United Kingdom, we need to inform you about the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information. In the EU and the United Kingdom, the purposes for which we process your personal information are:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you for the Service;
- For the purposes of legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests;
- Where you have given consent to the processing for one or more specific purposes; and
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation in the EU and the United Kingdom.
The legal basis depends on the category of personal data being processed, and the purpose for that processing. The following table indicates each category of personal data we process, and the legal bases we rely on to do so. Where legitimate interest has been used as the legal basis for processing, the specific legitimate interest we use has been described. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal basis we are relying on to process your personal data where one or more legal bases has been indicated.
|Category of Personal Data||Legal Basis for Processing|
|Contact and account information||The performance of a contract and to take steps prior to entering into a contract;
Our legitimate interests, namely, administering the Service, for marketing purposes and communicating with users.
Your consent to authorize the processing of your personal information in Third Countries.
|Online Inquiries and Correspondence||Legitimate interest, namely for marketing purposes and to respond to inquiries.
Your consent to authorize the processing of your personal information in Third Countries.
|Employee candidate information||Legitimate interest, namely for considering your application for employment with us.
Your consent to authorize the processing of your personal information in Third Countries.
When do we share personal information?
- Service Providers. We may disclose personal information to third-party service providers (e.g., web hosting providers and other SaaS providers) that assist us in our work. We limit the personal information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such personal information.
- Co-marketing Partners. We may disclose personal information to various co-marketing partners we engage with from time to time. An example would be when we co-host a webinar or similar online event and either we or our partners collect your personal information. The information you provide may be used to send you information about products and services related to the webinar you are attending, or for any other related purpose you would reasonably expect to take place.
- Business Transfers. Information about our users, including personal information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of company assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which personal information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- To Protect our Interests. We also disclose personal information if we believe that doing so is legally required, or is in our interest to protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights or property of others, or otherwise to help protect the safety or security of our Service and other users of the Service.
- To Comply with the Law: We may also disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving marketing email from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your opt-out request, and you may receive marketing email from us during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving marketing messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative and transactional messages from us regarding your use of the Service.
Rights to access
If you have a user account and profile on our Service, you have the ability to access and update many categories of personal information that you provide to us by logging in to your account and accessing your account settings. If you wish to access or amend any other personal information we hold about you, you may contact us at email@example.com. If you request that we delete your account with our Service, we will do so within a reasonable period of time, but we may need to retain some of your personal information in order to satisfy our legal obligations, or where we reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
Links to external sites
The Service may contain links to other websites, products, or services that we do not own or operate. The Service also may contain links to Third-Party Sites such as social networking services. If you choose to visit or use any Third-Party Sites or products or services available on or through such Third-Party Sites, please be aware that this Policy will not apply to your activities or any information you disclose while using those Third-Party Sites or any products or services available on or through such Third-Party Sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these Third-Party Sites or any products or services on or through them. Additionally, please be aware that the Service may contain links to websites and services that we operate but that are governed by different privacy policies. We encourage you to carefully review the privacy policies applicable to any website or service you visit other than the Service before providing any personal information on them.
How long do we keep your personal information for?
Aggregated and anonymized data that no longer identifies the user of the Service is maintained for the purposes necessary to provide the Service.
EU privacy rights
If you are located in the EU, you have the following Data Subject Access Rights with respect to your personal information that we hold:
- Right of access. You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you;
- Right to rectification. You may have the right to require us to correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal information we hold about you;
- Right to erasure. In certain circumstances, you may have the right to the erasure of your personal data we hold about you (for example where it is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed)
- Right to restriction. You may have the right to request that we restrict processing of your personal information in certain circumstances (for example where the accuracy of the personal data is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal data);
- Right to portability. In some limited circumstances, you may have the right to portability which allows you to move, copy or transfer personal data from one organization to another;
- Right to object. You have a right to object to us processing your personal information when the processing is based on legitimate interests and also to stop us from sending you direct marketing;
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling. You have the right not to be subject to a decision that affects you based solely on automated processing. We do not perform any automated decision making and profiling.
Sommly, LLC. respects the personal information (such as title, name, telephone number, email address etc) of people from whom it collects information and complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU 679/2016) (GDPR)/UK (GDPR).
Where do we store and process your personal information?
California privacy disclosures
California law requires us to let you know how we respond to web browser Do Not Track (DNT) signals. Because there currently isn’t an industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT signals, we haven’t responded to them at this time. We await the result of work by the privacy community and industry to determine when such a response is appropriate and what form it should take.
A California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship for personal, family, or household purposes (“California Customer”) is entitled to request information about whether the business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes, subject to certain exceptions, as defined in California Civil Code Sec. 1798.83. In general, subject to certain exceptions, if the business has made such a disclosure of personal information, upon receipt of a request by a California Customer, the business is required to provide, free of charge, a list of all third parties to whom personal information was disclosed in the preceding calendar year, as well as a list of the categories of personal information that were disclosed. California Customers may request further information about our compliance with this law by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do we secure your personal information?
To help protect your data, we use commercially reasonable steps to protect the data that we collect, including your personal information. The reasonable steps include protecting this data against accidental loss, unauthorized use, disclosure, and restricting access to personal information by our staff. The Service is hosted by a third-party hosting company that we have determined maintains adequate security controls and utilizes TLS encryption for all internet communication with the Service. We also require all staff that administer and develop the service follow industry-standard controls, including strong passwords, the use of anti-virus and anti-malware software, disk encryption and other best practices.
We use various 3rd party processors to enable us to provide the Service, and as part of our vendor due-diligence, we review the security controls these processors have in place and ensure they meet industry standards appropriate for the type of data we collect.
You should keep in mind, however, that the Service utilizes software, hardware, and networks, which from time to time require maintenance and experience problems beyond our control. Note that no data transmission over the public internet or encryption method can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information that you provide to us. You transmit information to us at your own risk.
Updates to this Policy
Who we are
Suggested text: Our website address is: https://blog.sommly.com.
Suggested text: When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
Suggested text: If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Suggested text: If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Suggested text: Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
Suggested text: If you request a password reset, your IP address will be included in the reset email.
How long we retain your data
Suggested text: If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
Suggested text: If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Suggested text: Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.